We all love eggs ben don’t we? Show me someone who doesn’t like eggs ben (and I’ll make him like it! hahaha jkidding) but really, I’ve not found someone who doesn’t like it! and a month ago i declared Saturdays as ‘Eggs Ben Saturdays’ :) *cheer* and we made ‘Eggs Ben’ 3 weeks in a row! and the reason why it’s ‘Eggs Ben’ and not Eggs Ben is cos it’s our very own Cheaterbug Eggs Ben – for when you dont know how to poach an egg, have got all the ingredients you want in an Eggs Ben (anything goes) and you have *drumroll* (cos it’s the most important ingredient of all – HOLLANDAISE SAUCE. No sauce no talk. Capisce? :) The sauce really makes it or breaks it and I was ALL eager to make my own hollandaise sauce but these days saving time is more important than feeling accomplished in cooking from scratch so we store-bought maille hollandaise sauce and basically used whatever we had in our fridge/ kitchen:
Bread (check), eggs (check), meat – store bought honey glazed chicken (check), salad on the side (check) and e finishing touches – caviar and hollandaise sauce (check and check). Ooh if you have cheese put it on as well! Anyways, here we go!
1. Poach Egg
- In a saucepan, fill about 3 inches of water and a pinch of salt and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, bring down to a simmer (you only want to see tiny bubbles on the sides).
- Add about 1tbsp of vinegar.
- Crack eggs individually into small bowls.
- Swirl water vigorously with a whisk and immediately but slowly and very gently slide egg into water.
- Leave the egg alone until it cooks – about 2 -3 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove each egg from the water.
Bread (toast if you like)+ Meat + Egg +H. Sauce + Caviar + Salad on the side = VOILA! Cheaterbug Eggs Ben
Actually after all that I just need to say that I think I really need an egg poacher (does anyone have a particular type/ brand to recommend?) – having the eggs all tendrilly kinda bugs me a bit. I’d really like them to be nicely shaped :)
On a side note: the eggs ben that I’ve had at Choupinette and Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf (Marina Bay Sands) really hit the spot! Choupinette> CBTL tho *heh*